Four Fruit Smoothie Popsicles: Mango, Raspberry Cheesecake, Blueberry/Coconut, and Avocado

June 22, 2010 · 20 comments

filed in: Dairy,Desserts,Fruit,Gluten-Free,Vegetarian/Vegetarian Option

“Summertime and the livin’ is easy….” That line from Ira and George Gershwin’s classic song keeps running through my head. Although “livin’” is supposed to be easy in summer, figuring out how to keep cool during the seasonal swelter can be quite a challenge where I live. Heating up the kitchen with elaborate cooked meals doesn’t really appeal. Barbeque, simple salads, and fresh fruit sound better. Fresh fruit popsicles? Now that’s a very cool idea indeed!

This past weekend my farmers’ market was a treasure trove of beautifully ripe seasonal fruits at bargain prices: peaches, apricots, mangos, raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, kiwis, avocados, and more. Rather than pick and choose amongst them, I loaded up on the lot with the idea of putting up a freezer full of frozen fresh fruit desserts to last through the dog-days of summer, including this series of four refreshingly simple smoothie popsicles with mango/apricot, raspberry cheesecake, blueberry/coconut, and avocado/kiwi flavors.

Each recipe below provides instructions for making approximately 2 cups of popsicle solution, which may be halved, doubled, or tripled to suit your needs. Individual servings may be frozen in ready-made popsicle molds or paper cups. If using the latter, freeze the popsicle solution in the cups until slushy, insert the popsicle sticks, and then freeze until the solution has solidified.

Mango/Apricot Smoothie-sicles

Combine in the container of a blender and process until smooth:

• 1 peeled, pitted, and sliced fresh mango
  • 1 peeled, pitted, and sliced fresh apricot
  • 1/2 cup plain yogurt
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1-2 tablespoons honey, to taste

Pour the solution into individual popsicle molds or paper cups, insert popsicle sticks, and freeze until solid.

Raspberry Cheesecake Smoothie-sicles

Process 1 1/2 cups fresh raspberries in the container of a blender until pureed. Press the raspberry puree through a sieve into a bowl and discard the seeds caught in the sieve. Return the puree to the blender, add the following, and blend until smooth:

• 1/3 cup plain yogurt

• 1/4 cup milk
  • 1- 3 tablespoons honey, to taste

print recipe print recipe

You might also like...

{ 15 Comments...read them below or add one }

Ben July 19, 2011 at 12:11 am

Can’t find those flavors at the store. Thanks for providing the recipes. I really like the raspberry cheesecake.

Megan June 7, 2011 at 11:43 am

I finally got Popsicle molds and plan on making those raspberries ones! I linked to these ice pops in my Honeydew ice pop post! :)

Emelie July 21, 2010 at 10:15 pm

I loved everything about these popsicles. My 7 month old LOVED the mango apricot. Thank you for these wonderful flavors!

Juliana June 28, 2010 at 3:05 pm

Oh! Beautiful Summer treat…not only gorgeous but healthy as well…I sure will try to make them!

marla {family fresh cooking} June 25, 2010 at 9:04 pm

What lovely popsicles. I would enjoy trying each flavor. I love the idea of the cream cheese as an ingredient in the cheesecake pop. The colors are so pretty! xo

A Canadian Foodie June 25, 2010 at 5:47 pm

I am teaching a cooking course for students next week and we are doing healthy popsicles… these recipes go in!!! Thanks! YUM! Valerie

Gera @ Sweets Foods Blog June 24, 2010 at 12:46 am

What a wonderful sweet team, with them we can win the world cup of sweetness. Love the colors totally enjoyable! Cheers, Gera

Kelsey{itsybitsyfoodies} June 23, 2010 at 6:12 pm

These look incredible. I just bought the same set of popsicle molds and have been experimenting with different ideas…and I now will definitely be trying out your flavor combos!!

FOODESSA June 23, 2010 at 4:40 pm

You have no idea how happy you’ve made me at this moment. When I opened your post I had a great big fruit popsicle in one hand and the computer mouse in the other. Now, why so happy…because so far I had gotten lazy with making these. I just poured organic juices and…voila! Compared to your amazing flavourful recipes…I’m truly boring.

So, there…someone has inspired me to do better with my pops. I think I’ll try the yogurt mascarpone blend first. Thanks for sharing your tasty recipes, Claudia.

Lana @ Never Enough Thyme June 23, 2010 at 8:44 am

I saw a set of popsicle molds at a local store recently, picked it up and then put it back without purchasing. You do realize now that I have to make a trip back there. Today. Seriously, your flavor combinations are wonderful. I especially want to try the raspberry-cheesecake!

Barbara June 23, 2010 at 10:08 pm

Funny, Lana! I find popsicle molds to be irresistible and have bought several over the years. I love the one shown above because of it’s deep well which is perfect for your extreme GA and my FL summer heat. When the popsicle starts melting, within ten seconds or so in our weather, the handle collects the drips, which then can be slurped down later.

Heather Davis June 23, 2010 at 5:26 am

Oh I do love summertime! But I don’t have quite the same heat issues as you. In fact we are lucky if we get any heat at all. Fortunately this June has been filled with lovely bright sunny days. I will have to give this popsicles a go. They sound like frozen smoothies. I know my kids will love them. The avocado one is inspired! Yum.

Barbara June 23, 2010 at 8:33 am

I almost (!?) envy you your weather in UK. I lived in the Philippines in the 70s-80s, where avocados are quite rightly treated as fruits, usually sweetened, and used often for ice cream, puddings, and other desserts. I came to love sweet avos there and then, and the idea is not my own. Avos really are wonderful used that way.

Megan June 23, 2010 at 12:54 am

Oh how I wish we could get avocado from around here but no such luck. Your popsicles look scrumptious! Please pass a raspberry cheesecake one. I think I need to pick up a set of popsicle molds!

Amanda June 22, 2010 at 9:14 pm

What gorgeous popsicles Barbara! These look marvelous!

{ 5 Comments...read them below or add one }