Top Ten Recipes of 2010

December 31, 2010 · 22 comments

filed in: Recipe Roundup

Top Ten Recipes of 2010

I started this food blog a bit over a year ago with the notion of challenging myself to a new activity quite different from my 30-year career as a consultant to urban poverty alleviation programs in the developing world. Cooking and the creativity associated with recipe development have always been a joy to me. And so I settled on the idea of blogging about my own original spin on comfort food classics.

I’ve loved every minute of this blog’s first year, the fun I’ve had experimenting in the kitchen, the new friends I’ve made, and the many things I’ve learned along the way. This post provides a recap of the ten most popular recipes at Modern Comfort Food during 2010 as a “thank you” to readers who’ve been kind enough to join me here. Let me wish you a happy, healthy, and prosperous new year.

Carrot Cake with Pecan Coconut Frosting

With a bit of help from my dear mom, a rich carrot cake with a German chocolate cake style frosting of toasted pecans and flaked coconut.

Tex-Mex Stuffed Peppers, 7-Layer Dip Style

Baked bell peppers stuffed with a lighter variation on classic Tex-Mex 7-layer dip: seasoned black beans, sour cream flavored with chipotle peppers and cilantro, avocados, cheese, fresh tomatoes, green onions, and black olives. A vegetarian option is provided.

Key Lime Cheesecake Bars

Simple, tangy, and delicious key lime cheesecake bars with a graham cracker and almond crumb crust.

Green Tomato Salsa Verde

For fellow gardeners everywhere, a spicy green tomato salsa, a la Mexican-style salsa verde, with fresh green chilies, onions, garlic, lemon, cilantro, and cumin.

Sangria Upside Down Cake

A “new fashioned” upside down cake with the flavors of sangria. Includes red wine, fresh oranges, plums, kiwis, and a light brandy flavored glaze.

Mom’s Hot German Potato Salad

Hot “German” potato salad, just like Mom used to make, with sliced red potatoes, crunchy bacon, onions, and celery in a zesty sweet and sour dressing.

Blueberry Cheese Danish Cake

A simple and moist buttermilk cake baked with a topping of lemony cream cheese, fresh blueberries, and sliced almonds, in the manner of a blueberry cheese Danish pastry.

Tomato, Corn and Cheese Tart with Basil

With ingredients from my family’s North Carolina organic farm and dairy, a late summer harvest tart of fresh tomatoes, corn, onions, basil, bacon, and cheese.

Green Chili Cilantro Cornbread

An extra spicy version of my beloved Southern cornbread flavored with green chilies, fresh cilantro, green onions, corn, cumin, and coriander.

Chicken Parmesan Pot Pie with Mushrooms

An easy, “company’s coming” chicken pot pie flavored with mushrooms, leeks, artichoke hearts, fresh thyme, white wine, and parmesan cheese.

print recipe print recipe

You might also like...

{ 21 Comments...read them below or add one }

Aggie February 2, 2011 at 6:40 pm

Everything on this page looks absolutely mouthwatering!!

Adele Forbes January 23, 2011 at 5:28 pm

A male friend of mine sent me a link to your Stuffed peppers and wanted me to make it and then let him know how good it was…and i intend to do just that…they look stunningly amazing…and I have been going through your recipes and sharing them with my Facebook followers…thank you so much, it has been a lovely and soul-satisfying journey for me.

Barbara Bakes January 13, 2011 at 9:34 pm

Your photos are fabulous! I can only imagine how fabulous these favorites most taste too!

Robyn | Add a Pinch January 9, 2011 at 9:26 am

Every single one of these were recipes I bookmarked myself, Barbara! I remember squealing when you posted the German Potato Salad. I’ve been looking for that recipe since we visited Germany 10 years ago. By far one of my favorite potato salads ever.

Happy New Year!

Barbara January 9, 2011 at 9:51 am

Thank you, Robyn, for making my day with your very kind comment. Strangely enough, I also had a squealer moment recently involving potato salad. In my case, it was a recipe post by a blogger friend for Russian potato salad, which I’ve been searching for since I studied in the former USSR in the 1970s and fell deeply in love with how the dish was made there.

Joanne January 7, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Oh wow! Where do I start!? Everyone of those recipes looks so good. That’s why they made the top 10 right? Great reference post.

Jeanne @ CookSister! January 6, 2011 at 10:46 am

Oooh – much to like here! I remember that sangria upside down cake from when I hosted DMBLGiT! particularly taken with the spicy cornbread and the stuffed peppers. Bookmarked!

Barbara January 7, 2011 at 6:29 pm

Thanks, Jeanne. BTW poke a small hole in the bottom of the stuffed peppers with a fork or toothpick before baking. I need to note that in the recipe.

Karen January 5, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Barbara, your blog is magnificent! I hope you will spoil us with many more delicious recipes and beautiful photos. I can’t decide which one of your top ten recipes I like the most, because they are all equally tasty, but since I have a huge sweet tooth, I’ll have to go with the Blueberry Danish Cheese Cake. Happy New Year and congrats on your blog anniversary!

Suzanne January 4, 2011 at 9:30 am

I have some catching up to do. I’ve made 2 of the 10 (Tex-Mex Stuffed Pepper and your Mom’s German Potato Salad) and need to work my way through the rest of the list! Love all of your recipes, ideas, and your friendship! Cheers, my friend, and a great 2011 to you!

A Canadian Foodie January 4, 2011 at 1:22 am

Absolutely incredible parade of gorgeous food and food photography! Kudos to you! What a great year. The stuffed Tex Mex pepper is my top. Valerie

SMITH BITES January 3, 2011 at 12:31 pm

a GORGEOUS list – makes my mouth water and as usual, stunning photography!!! looking forward to what you’ll be making in 2011!

Megan January 3, 2011 at 10:36 am

That blueberry danish cake has haunted me for awhile and has been on my must make list and those tropical magic bars too. Great list Barb! Here’s to another delicious year!

Lana @ Never Enough Thyme January 2, 2011 at 9:40 pm

What a fabulous list! I remember most of these posts and the enjoyment I had when reading each of them. I’m looking forward to many more of your wonderfully written posts about the inventive recipes you create!

Faith January 2, 2011 at 2:57 pm

What a great thing to do! Thanks for posting this and sharing it with us! Happy new year !

Beth January 2, 2011 at 2:02 pm

The cheesecake squares and chicken pot pie and both calling my name. Wow!

Delishhh January 1, 2011 at 10:13 pm

What a great list. I love that blueberry cheese danish cake – my favorite!!! I am so glad i found your blog!

Amanda January 1, 2011 at 7:30 pm

This is a beautiful round up Barbara! i remember all of these, and still want to make that blueberry danish! Happy New Year to you.

Jane Bonacci - The Heritage Cook January 1, 2011 at 11:06 am

It has been wonderful following your kitchen escapades – thank you for allowing us a glimpse into your life! This is one of my top food blogs and always delightfully entertaining! Happy New Year!!

Shelby January 1, 2011 at 8:05 am

I remember that blueberry cheesecake well….since blueberries are about my very favorite fruit out there! Your tart, potpie and cornbread need to make an appearance on my table! Everything looks so delish!

fooddreamer January 1, 2011 at 7:46 am

I had a ton of green tomatoes this year. I made several batches of a wonderful green tomato soup and one batch of pickled green tomatoes, but I would have loved your salsa recipe. Saving that one for next year!

{ 1 Comment...read it below or add one }